Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Read Through

Today started the rehearsal schedule and work schedule combo. Of course, it always takes me forever to get out of work. Even though I wanted to leave at 3pm, I got stuck at work till 4:15pm and my boss booed and moaned that "for the first time, she showed up to our manager meeting remotely on-time" and we weren't able to do it because my executive chef's dog had to go to the hospital and I had to finish up on all the incoming calls through the day of a phone that never stopped ringing. Not a bad thing. But never the less, I was playing catch-up ALL DAY LONG.

We'll this blog isn't necessarily about my nightmares with the restaurant I run, it's about my revisit to a career I thought I had and since had lost. So here we go. The first rehearsal- the read through.

I have to say that I am pretty happy with the director's choices in casting. Everyone fits their part well and everyone seems to be very professional and talented. Whooeee! Potential romantic comedy train-wreck avoided.

For the past 2 days I have been mulling over the first act of the play. Didn't even read the second act until the read through tonight. It's actually a really great play and would make an even better movie. The best part is that I pretty much am my character. So it is not a far stretch for me. Doesn't mean that I will not have to stretch my abilities at some point. Just means that I have a better canvas to work from.

We all joked and commented as we read through the script, the director gave some noted as we finished each act, and everyone shared the trader joe's brownie bites except for me. I was a good boy and let everyone know that I was really putting pressure on myself to lose the excess weight prior to opening night. I have taken myself off my coffee addiction and have decreased my carb intake pretty significantly. I love my female counterpart, Diane, she really is an awsome actress, and although I wasn't overtly impressed with my male counterpart Alex during the audition, he is actually a pretty talented and much better actor than I initially though- not to meantion a really nice guy. So I am happy.

Now is just the memorization. I have scene 1 pretty much down, I just need to get the rest of the play down and I will be in good shape. As for the blog, I have decided that I am only going to write when I have rehearsal or have something significant to report about this endeavor. Thanks for reading, if you are reading. :-) If you're not reading, well then HA! this is just for me. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am anxious to hear what readers have to say. Good, Bad, or Indifferent.